Jeff Bezos is an American entrepreneur, known as the founder and chief executive officer of Amazon.com. He also owns ‘The Washington Post‘. Jeff Bezos is one of the richest people in the world.
In 1994 Bezos took the bold move of leaving a very well paid 9 to 5 job for entering the e-commerce business at its dawn. With Amazon he had a bigger vision, which made Amazon.com from a simple book selling e-commerce website to a multi-billion empire offering almost everything one can imagine, including appliances, clothing and even cloud computing services. And at this date, Amazon.com has a market cap of over $457 billion.
Investments of Bezos range widely: Twitter, Domo, Juno Therapeutics, Workday, General Fusion, Rethink Robotics, Business Insider, MakerBot, Stack Overflow, General Assembly, Uber, Airbnb, Google…
His empire consists of Blue Origin, Washington Post, Amazon Key investments, Bezos Expeditions, Bezos Family Foundation, Nash Holdings LLC.
His philanthropic work is widely known, donated hundreds of millions for science, education, medical research, art & culture, immigration fields.
Jeff Bezos showed interest in engineering and computers since early childhood. He founded his first company, the Dream Institute while in high school. After graduation, he worked on Wall Street, including Fitel and D.E. Shaw. After working 4 years at hedge fund investment company D.E. Shaw he became senior vice president. Though it didn’t take long until Bezos realized, he can take advantage of the rapid growth of the internet businesses. Amazon.com was one of the few startups that the dot-com crash did not wipe out.
Jeff Bezos was a demanding boss and could explode at employees. However, he is a well-thought leader highly engaged in self-improvement as well. Rumor has it he hired a leadership coach to help him tone his attitude breakouts down. His business strategies used at Amazon.com could be useful for many entrepreneurs.
Amazon’s leadership principles tell it all, how this remarkable man has risen to the top of the most successful people: Have Backbone; Disagree and Commit.
Top 25 Motivating Jeff Bezos Quotes for Entrepreneurs
1. “If you’re not stubborn, you’ll give up on experiments too soon. And if you’re not flexible, you’ll pound your head against the wall and you won’t see a different solution to a problem you’re trying to solve.” – Jeff Bezos
2. “If you double the number of experiments you do per year you’re going to double your inventiveness.” – Jeff Bezos
3. “Life’s too short to hang out with people who aren’t resourceful.” – Jeff Bezos
4. “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.” – Jeff Bezos
5. “A company shouldn’t get addicted to being shiny because shiny doesn’t last.”– Jeff Bezos
[clickToTweet tweet=”One of the only ways to get out of a tight box is to invent your way out. – Jeff Bezos” quote=”One of the only ways to get out of a tight box is to invent your way out. – Jeff Bezos” theme=”style5″]
6. “What we need to do is always lean into the future; when the world changes around you and when it changes against you – what used to be a tail wind is now a headwind – you have to lean into that and figure out what to do because complaining isn’t a strategy.” – Jeff Bezos
7. “There are two kinds of companies, those that work to try to charge more and those that work to charge less. We will be the second.” – Jeff Bezos
8. “If you don’t understand the details of your business you are going to fail.” – Jeff Bezos
9. “Your margin is my opportunity.” – Jeff Bezos
10. “The balance of power is shifting toward consumers and away from companies… The right way to respond to this if you are a company is to put the vast majority of your energy, attention, and dollars into building a great product or service and put a smaller amount into shouting about it, marketing it.” – Jeff Bezos
11. “The great thing about fact-based decisions is that they overrule the hierarchy.” – Jeff Bezos
12. “Market leadership can translate directly to higher revenue, higher profitability, greater capital velocity, and correspondingly stronger returns on invested capital.” – Jeff Bezos
13. “Part of company culture is path-dependent – it’s the lessons you learn along the way.” – Jeff Bezos
14. “The common question that gets asked in business is, ‘why?’ That’s a good question, but an equally valid question is, ‘why not?’ ” – Jeff Bezos”
15. “On the Internet, companies are scale businesses, characterized by high fixed costs and relatively low variable costs. You can be two sizes: You can be big, or you can be small. It’s very hard to be medium. A lot of medium-sized companies had the financing rug pulled out from under them before they could get big.” – Jeff Bezos
16. “I’m skeptical of any mission that has advertisers at its centerpiece.” – Jeff Bezos
17. “In the old world, you devoted 30% of your time to building a great service and 70% of your time to shouting about it. In the new world, that inverts.” – Jeff Bezos
18. “My own view is that every company requires a long-term view.” – Jeff Bezos
19. “A company shouldn’t get addicted to being shiny because shiny doesn’t last.” – Jeff Bezos
20. “The most important single thing is to focus obsessively on the customer. Our goal is to be earth’s most customer-centric company.” – Jeff Bezos
21. “The best customer service is if the customer doesn’t need to call you, doesn’t need to talk to you. It just works.” – Jeff Bezos
22. “If you’re competitor-focused, you have to wait until there is a competitor doing something. Being customer-focused allows you to be more pioneering.” – Jeff Bezos
23. [clickToTweet tweet=”“I believe you have to be willing to be misunderstood if you’re going to innovate.” – Jeff Bezos” quote=”“I believe you have to be willing to be misunderstood if you’re going to innovate.” – Jeff Bezos” theme=”style5″]
24. “There are two ways to extend a business. Take inventory of what you’re good at and extend out from your skills. Or determine what your customers need and work backward, even if it requires learning new skills. Kindle is an example of working backward.” – Jeff Bezos
25. “It’s not an experiment if you know it’s going to work.” – Jeff Bezos